Sunday, December 9, 2012

Christmas Surprise




I think it was the Christmas when I was in 4th grade. I had read the classic Judy Blume coming-of-age story "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret." Now, some say that story is all about finding God. But to me, at the time, it was all about the training bra. I had noticed some of my friends wearing training bras at school and, because I read that book, I knew I needed one, too. But how could I possibly bring that subject up to my mom? It just was not possible for a kid like me to broach that subject. And so I just hoped. And hoped. And maybe pushed my chest out just a little to show that I had a need for some support. And possibly pulled my shirt a little tighter. But just possibly. Did I recite the mantra, "I must, I must, I must increase my bust?" I'll never tell. But probably not.

On Christmas morning my mom gave me a present and told me I might want to open it separately, without everyone watching. I thought, "Could it be? No way! I never even told her. How could she have known? Maybe she read that book, too." And I carefully peeled the paper away to display my new.... training bra! I was excited and embarrassed all at once. I quickly stuffed it under a pillow on the couch so my brothers wouldn't see it, which of course was a terrible hiding place and one of them found it later. Brothers. I should write a post about brothers sometime.

Anyway, funny that a training bra should be one of the most memorable Christmas presents for me. I guess what's most memorable is that my mom figured it out. Maybe she read the book, too.

4 comments:

  1. I think this is a book that somehow was supposed to be definitive in every young girl's life, for some reason, but I think most of us mainly remember the "I must, I must, I must increase my bust!" So basically, we all came away with a complex that our boobs were too small and that we should do whatever it took to change that, no matter how ridiculous.

    And seriously, what was with our parents and undergarments for Christmas? Like we couldn't get new panties any other time of year?

    So glad you're still blogging. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read that book so maybe that is why I had the whole bad attitude about a training bra. I did not want one! Of course I hit the whole puberty thing earlier than my friends, but I was most definitely not excited when my mom brought one home. I'm glad you were excited to get yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom must be related to yours! I also remember getting new undies every year for Christmas. That didn't embarrass me, but the new bra did! And of course my brother had to see me try to hide it. Yes, I think you need to write a blog about brothers. They can be such a pain when we're young, but so nice to have when we are older!

    ReplyDelete

I'm a needy person, I only write if someone will read.