Tuesday, September 4, 2012



A couple of days ago I was taking an online consumer survey. They asked me the strangest question: "What is the age of your inner voice?" I really had to think about that one.

My inner voice right now is a 90-year-old-woman. She's telling me it's late & I should get to bed & stop messing around on the computer.

On the other hand, there's a voice in there that's telling me I should go right ahead & enjoy the very little bit of time I have for myself (sans children). Yeah, you'll be tired tomorrow, but you're always tired. I think that voice is about 30. Realistic.

And then I hear a voice reminding me I have a husband in the other room. He might like to have me around while he flips channels. I think that voice is probably about 19, the age I was when I married David.

I hear a whispering... something about getting the dishes done & maybe even sweeping up (for the 3rd time today). I think that voice is someone very young, maybe 16, because it has a lot of energy.

I also hear someone in there shouting that I want my mom. Oh, never mind, that's not an inner voice. That's one of the kids. What's he still doing awake? It's 10:00! Oh, my goodness, that child is going to be trouble for us tomorrow.

I think a voice in there must talk to my mom regularly, because it's telling me it's worried about me. It wants me to get more rest. It wants to know I'm happy. That voice worries a lot. Not sure on the age. Maybe an empty nester. Its kids have all left home. It worries because it can't see the kids and know they're okay. I guess that voice is my mom. Mom, get out of my head!

There's a voice that wants me to be more interesting & convinced me to not publish the long essay about being a young mother I just typed because it thinks I write about being a mom too much. (I'll publish it another time, when that voice is asleep). I think that voice is probably about 18 & in college. Definitely unmarried & without children.

I just heard a voice tell me my son wants to show me a book. It's David's voice. I think I'll listen to that voice. Because if I don't, then that child will never go to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. That voice that worries about you (& your husband, & your children) could also belong to your mother-in-law!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for worrying about me, Debbie, it's nice to be worried about:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. I have the same voices.

    ReplyDelete

I'm a needy person, I only write if someone will read.