Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A New Standard




I have known for a while that having two kids means I need to maybe change my standards for cleanliness. What I was able to achieve before (and maintain sanity) is just not possible anymore. So I have come up with a handy guide to turn to when I'm unsure whether my house meets the new standards.


Definitions:


Old standard= sparkling/see your face in/disinfected/eat off the floor/vacuum lined/polished/does anyone really live here/company ready/house the pope if needed clean


New standard= clean enough


Chapter 1: What is "clean enough?"



The bathroom is clean enough if you can still see yourself in the mirror.


The vinyl floors are clean enough as long as your feet aren't sticking to them.


No need to dust until you can legibly write "dust me" on surfaces with a fingertip.


The windows are clean enough as long as you can still see the neighbor's dead grass from your kitchen.


The kitchen is clean enough as long as there aren't any dead flies floating in dirty cereal bowls.


The laundry can wait until you run out of either clean underwear or baskets for the dirty stuff.


The bedding is clean enough until it holds the shape of your body when you're not in bed anymore.


The walls are clean enough as long as you can see more paint than sticky handprints.


The house is clean enough as long as your child doesn't tell you this house is kind of messy. Then you let things go too far.


Just for the record, my house is not currently "clean enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm a needy person, I only write if someone will read.